- Cumberland County Improvement Authority
- Millville, New Jersey
- Our Role
- Analysis, Report Preparation, Consulting.
- 1 year 6 months
- Comprehensive economic model provided assessment of waste management alternatives
- Assisted owner in achieving lowest long-term cost of ownership
- Database allows flexible inputs for future analysis.
Faced with the growing costs and environmental concerns of operating a traditional landfill, the Cumberland County Improvement Authority began assessing a sustainable waste management alternative. Gannett Fleming developed a Life Cycle Financial Model (LCFM) to assist the owner in evaluating the bottom-line impact of that decision.
Comparing the costs of operating the landfill in a conventional manner to those of a sustainable landfill, which accelerates the biodegradation rate of solid waste, the LCFM provided the owner with a simple tool to achieve the lowest long-term cost of ownership.
Using data supplied by the Cumberland County Improvement Authority, our firm modeled the year-by-year operational costs of a conventional landfill and a sustainable landfill. The total revenues, operations, monitoring, and costs associated with each approach were compared. In addition, total cash expenditures and free cash flow were shown, year by year and cumulative. Graphics illustrated the two different landfill capacities, cumulative free cash flow balances, annual total income/deficits, and cumulative net present value.
The LCFM provided an economic assessment of landfill cell construction and/or expansion, leachate treatment, landfill gas collection and treatment, and prescriptive landfill closure. Armed with this information, the Cumberland County Improvement Authority was able to confidently move ahead to explore state-of-the-art methods of managing waste materials more sustainably.
- Detailed cost comparison of conventional and sustainable landfills
- Documented data for citizens, elected officials, government agencies, and other stakeholders
- Provided an economic incentive to transition to a sustainable waste management approach.