- U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency
- BakerAECOM, LLC
- FEMA Headquarters and Regions IV, VIII, and IX
- Our Role
- Production and Technical Services, Geographic Information Systems, Hydrology and Hydraulics, Surveying, Floodplain Mapping, Community Outreach, Consequence Assessment, Mitigation Planning, Quality Assurance/Quality Control.
- In Progress
- Develop guidelines for risk-based hydrologic safety of dams
- Improve H&H modeling, floodplain mapping, and Risk MAP products with GIS tool
- Set industry standard in flood hazard engineering and mapping support.
Gannett Fleming is providing advanced engineering and geospatial information technology (IT) tools to generate more accurate, reliable, and readily available flood maps that help provide peace of mind. Focused on avoiding property damage and loss of life, our Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Risk Mapping, Assessment and Planning (Risk MAP) work includes:
• Conducting riverine watershed studies and consequence assessments
• Evaluating guidelines for risk-based dam hydrologic safety
• Managing remote sensing light detection and ranging (LiDAR) data acquisition
• Validating flood hazard engineering and mapping validation.
Through a collaborative stakeholder process, we improve flood maps to enhance community decision making and risk management capabilities. Gannett Fleming tasks are part of a broader FEMA Flood Map Modernization (Map Mod) initiative that helped establish Risk MAP. Our efforts support FEMA’s goal to provide more than 90 percent of the U.S. population with digital flood insurance rate maps.
Under a five-year Indefinite Delivery Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) contract, Gannett Fleming is providing Risk MAP production and technical services. Our Coordinated Needs Management Strategy will validate engineering study data for more than 5,000 detailed stream miles within FEMA’s mapped inventory; and it will help enable a standardized stream inventory geographic information system (GIS) database for nearly 100 counties. We also developed a hydrologic and hydraulic (H&H) dam safety evaluation guidance document for a new and an existing dam’s inflow design while assisting regulators and owners with public safety issues and resource allocations.
Through a separate task order, Gannett Fleming developed custom GIS tools and workflows to review acquired LiDAR data for statistical, accuracy, classification, and visual errors and anomalies and verify that it meets FEMA standards. Our flood risk products include flood depth grids, percent annual chance grids, and Hazus consequence assessments using custom GIS tools from H&H analyses that communities use to develop risk assessment and mitigation strategies.
- Assess flood engineering and maps using custom GIS tools
- Conduct riverine watershed flood studies and consequence assessments
- Develop FEMA guidelines and specifications for levee evaluation and flood impacts
- Perform LiDAR data quality assurance and quality control reviews
- Provided H&H dam safety evaluation guidance document.