- Missouri American Water
- Reynolds, Inc.
- Joplin, Missouri
- Our Role
- Bidding, Design, Construction Support, Environmental Permitting, Operations and Maintenance Manual.
- 21.5 mgd water treatment plant
- 2 years 5 months
Blendville plant completed one month ahead of schedule
Owner saved money through design-build collaboration
Plant kept producing water during catastrophic Spring 2011 Joplin tornado.
When the Show-Me State’s 120-year-old Blendville Water Treatment Plant (WTP) needed an upgrade to handle increased demands predicted in 2006, Gannett Fleming designed facility upgrades featuring engineering firsts. Expanded from 16 mgd to 21.5 mgd, the modern Blendville WTP includes eco-friendly treatment technologies achieved through a collaborative design-build effort. Our design enhancements included:
• Plate settlers equipped with vacuum-type collectors to remove water settled solids.
• Ultra violet disinfection installed to treat Cryptosporidium and harmful water bacteria
• On-site hypochlorite generation replaced gas chlorine
• A liquid lime system eliminated mineral scale removal and excessive dry lime dust.
Our Blendville WTP process renovations safely and reliably meet the demands of nearly 25,000 customers in and around Joplin, Missouri. The result was a cutting-edge facility completed ahead of schedule with room for future growth.
As engineering consultant, Gannett Fleming was responsible for preliminary and final designs including process, civil, architectural, structural, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, and stormwater management; hydraulic analyses; permitting; construction support; and start-up commissioning. We designed chemical system and high-service pump replacements; filter valve rehabilitations; operations facility relocations; and a new filtered-water transfer pumping station. Gannett Fleming also replaced WTP electrical service and installed an emergency generator and new supervisory control and data acquisition system.
First in Missouri to use ultra violet disinfection at a WTP
First successful installation of plate settlers at a Missouri WTP
Liquid lime system eliminated extensive maintenance associated with dry lime
Uninterrupted water service during construction.
- Safer on-site hypochlorite generation eliminated gas chlorine storage and delivery.