- Bowie State University
- Einhorn Yaffee Prescott Architecture & Engineering, P.C.
- Bowie, Maryland
- Our Role
- Planning, Engineering, Design, Permitting, Construction Phase Services.
- 8 years
- Converted existing lagoons into a stormwater management facility
- Created replacement wetlands and forest conservation easements
- Repaired and retrofitted the existing stormwater pond network.
With a growing student population and a need for improved educational facilities, Bowie State University turned to Gannett Fleming to provide stormwater management solutions for the expanding campus. As part of a major capital improvement program involving the design and construction of a new fine and performing arts center, the university needed to update their approach for a regional stormwater management facility to serve planned future development.
Gannett Fleming was selected by the architectural design firm responsible for the new building to perform the design and permitting services for the regional pond. The result was a regional pond concept involving the retrofit conversion of an existing pond network on the campus, which met the needs of the growing university.
Gannett Fleming prepared a comprehensive feasibility study for repair and retrofit of the existing stormwater pond network to provide regional stormwater quantity management required for campus development. The feasibility study determined that the additional management volume could be provided by raising the height of the earth embankment and providing a new control structure for stormwater release.
A detailed stormwater management report was prepared including hydrologic and hydraulic analyses, outfall analyses and 100-year storm impacts. Our services included coordination with regulatory agencies and acquisition of permits. Our firm was also responsible for field surveys, subsurface investigation, CCTV sanitary sewer inspection, and utility location surveys within the project area. Construction phase service responsibilities included review of submittal and change order proposals, response to requests for information, field observation, construction phase engineering, and preparation of as-built drawings.
- Coordination with multiple regulatory agencies
- Detailed stormwater management report
- Included field surveys, subsurface investigation, CCTV sanitary sewer inspection, and utility location surveys
- Raised earth embankment created a new control structure for stormwater release
- Repaired and improved stormwater pond network
- Retrofitted existing lagoons into a functional stormwater quantity management facility.
- More than 13-acres of existing forested area placed in forest conservation easement
- Retrofitted former wastewater treatment lagoons to use as a stormwater pond network.