- Massachusetts Department of Transportation, Highway Division
- G4S Technologies, Henkels & McCoy
- Western Massachusetts
- Our Role
- Intelligent Transportation Systems, Highways.
- 55 miles
- Construction Cost:
- $34 million
- New Construction
- 5 years
- Largest ITS design-build project in New England
- Improved safety and emergency response
- Improved traveler information.
The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) needed a smart system to reduce traffic congestion, increase safety, and improve emergency response along the 60-mile long Interstate 91 and Interstate 291 corridor between the Connecticut and Vermont state lines.
Stretching 55 miles, the I-91 Design-Build Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) project represents the largest ITS design-build project in New England. The route winds through urban areas like Springfield, Mass., as well as more rural districts further north and supports as many as 88,000 vehicles per day. The design-build project delivery method enabled MassDOT and Gannett Fleming to develop the design simultaneously with construction, allowing for the most up-to-date equipment to be deployed on the job.
As the engineer of record, Gannett Fleming prepared the design of the ITS design-build project, including the installation of ITS devices and creation of a traffic operations center at the MassDOT District 2 headquarters. The ITS devices were also integrated into the statewide traffic operations center in Boston and provide video images to state police facilities. Gannett Fleming followed the systems engineering process, including the preparation of a concept of operations, detailed functional requirements, and acceptance test plans.
In addition we prepared communication plans, ITS device site plans, subsystem block diagrams, structural and foundation plans, and electrical plans for the I-91 system.
- 17 variable message signs that display traffic, weather, detour, and other alerts
- 34 closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras provide live roadway video
- A new, district traffic operation center for MassDOT, District 2
- Design-build delivery method provided for flexibility in the technology used.
- Gannett Fleming worked with the contractor to develop value engineering solutions to reduce the overall project cost
- The resulting decrease in congestion has reduced the amount of carbon emissions produced along the corridor.