- Global Environmental Management Initiative® (GEMI®)
- Our Role
- Program Development, Project Management, Water Work Group Facilitation.
- 1 year 4 months
- An interactive water sustainability web tool
- Information to perform an assessment of a facility’s water use
- Guidance to make informed decisions about water reuse and conservation.
Regions throughout the world are experiencing significant water shortages. And what is available for human use must be shared for agricultural, domestic, commercial, industrial, and environmental needs. Managing the supply and availability of water is one of the most critical natural resource issues facing the U.S. and the world.
To help owners or managers of manufacturing facilities make more efficient use of their water, Gannett Fleming was retained by GEMI to develop an interactive web tool that helps users address their water sustainability challenges. Collecting the Drops: A Water Sustainability Planner guides users through the process of assessing water use and impacts from operations. With this tool, users gain a better understanding of the quality and quantity of water available for use, the cost of water, environmental sensitivities of the region, current/projected community development, and the adequacy of their current infrastructure. The interactive water sustainability planner enables users to access the tool regardless of location.
Armed with this information, facility owners can better understand the many circumstances that may affect the adequacy and quality of their supply, their facility’s impact on the local water supply and quality, and ways to manage water resources wisely.
- Case examples of how GEMI members have engaged internal and external stakeholders in dialogue, and generated actions, to promote overall water supply resource management and conservation
- Modules to assess specific water uses and needs, impacts on the existing available resources, and opportunities to manage water resources wisely.
- Short- and long-term water sustainability strategies
- Improved environmental sustainability
- Opportunities to achieve health, safety, and economic goals.