Confidential Food Processor
- Nationwide, U.S.
- Our Role
- Website Application Development, Environmental Management.
- E2MS implementation results in environmental and economic benefits
- Improved ability to meet compliance requirements, minimize paperwork.
As part of its ISO: 14001 compliance, the Confidential Food Processor recognized the need to effectively manage its documentation, procedures, and facility-wide operations. After beginning implementation of a companywide environmental management system (EMS) nearly 10 years ago, its supporting software program quickly became dated, and the training of employees in use of the system consumed significant resources.
As a result, the Food Processor turned to Gannett Fleming to implement a new EMS, safety, and sustainability metrics program. The implementation has enabled the company to more efficiently monitor and track program progress and reduce its overall environmental footprint.
Gannett Fleming implemented a new, cohesive EMS program, known as the electronic Environmental Management System (E2MS), to take the Food Processor to the next level in EMS organization, control, and ease of training. The application’s ease of use and built-in document management system has enabled more reliability and access for the company’s numerous platforms and facilities, as well as provided the tools necessary to monitor operations from a centralized tracking location – ensuring consistency throughout all U.S. operations. E2MS improves this Food Processor’s capability to meet compliance requirements, minimizes paperwork, enhances communication, and increases environmental awareness.
- Customized dashboards display key information in real time
- User-specific dashboard can be tailored to maintain operations requirements.
- 26 percent reduction in fresh water usage saves an average of 600 million gallons of water per year
- Capturing methane to fuel steam boilers saves 130 billion BTUs of natural gas, offsetting greenhouse gas emissions by 196,000 metric tons per year
- Reducing water consumption at processing facilities saves 293 million gallons and reduces air pollutants by 3.2 million pounds annually
- Adding a photo sensor to control wash water for hot dog sticks saves 14 percent of overall plant water and 41 percent of rinse water annually.