- McNeil Consumer Pharmaceuticals
- Lancaster, Pennsylvania
- Our Role
- Study, Risk Assessment, Design, Implementation.
- 14,000 CFM and 3,000 CFM dust collectors
- Construction Cost:
- 2 years
• Increased system efficiency and safety
• Decreased risk of explosion due to dust
• Improved dust collection to protect workers’ health.
Dust collection systems capture, convey, and collect airborne particulate matter on a continuous basis, aiding in air purification to prevent potential fire hazards and maintain a safe, clean atmosphere for pharmaceutical plant employees. An adequate dust collection system is critical to a company’s overall operational health and is required by OSHA to be regularly inspected and maintained.
McNeil Consumer Pharmaceuticals hired Gannett Fleming to study its dust collection system, report findings, present recommendations for efficiency, and design needed improvements.
In addition to replacing all dust collection equipment, the firm made revisions to ductwork and collection points, then installed explosion isolation valves. The existing collection units remained operational during the installation of the new system.
- Identified recommendations for improved efficiency through a study and risk assessment
- Installed new 14,000-cubic-feet-per-minute (CFM) and 3,000 CFM dust collectors
- Added explosion isolation valves to protect lives and property
- Lowered energy consumption by a projected 10 to 30 percent because of reduction in exhaust air.