- Pennsylvania Department of Transportation
- Statewide, Pennsylvania
- Our Role
- Policy, Procedure Development.
- In Progress
- Established statewide traffic incident management policies and procedures
- Prepared a joint operational policy statement
- Proposed a Statewide Incident Management Coordinating Committee.
Traffic incident management (TIM) is not only crucial to traveler safety and emergency response, it also plays a key role in reducing congestion and vehicular movement. Gannett Fleming worked with the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and other key stakeholders to identify areas to improve the state’s TIM program.
The program was based on the National Unified Goal for TIM and the standard incident response time line. The project required coordination with the county Emergency Management Agency (EMA) and first responders, the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency, the Pennsylvania State Police, the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, the Metropolitan Planning Organization transportation planners, and the Pennsylvania Towing Association. Tailored to those who respond daily in an Incident Command System or Unified Command environment, the program improvements focused on strategic planning and investment, tactical operations, and support programs controlled by PennDOT.
Gannett Fleming provided support services and created policies and procedures for the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation’s (PennDOT) statewide traffic incident management (TIM) program.
Our firm conducted workshops and surveyed personnel in county maintenance, district incident management, and executive leadership roles. In addition, our firm prepared a Joint Operational Policy Statement, and discussed it with key partners. We also proposed the establishment of a Statewide Incident Management Coordinating Committee as a path forward for continuing to improve TIM processes.
- Based on the National Unified Goal for TIM
- Includes input from personnel in county maintenance, district incident management, and executive leadership roles
- Focus on strategic planning and investment
- Development of a Joint Operational Policy Statement
- Establishment of a Statewide Incident Management Coordinating Committee.