Gannett Fleming released its 2017 Corporate Sustainability Report (CSR), which showcased considerable progress in how the company reduces waste, conserves resources, and produces strong financial savings.
“As Gannett Fleming strives to make a positive impact on our environment, we know that being agents of change in our communities and at work requires the right culture,” said President and COO Paul Nowicki. “We adapted a theme of ‘It’s In Our Hands,’ empowering all of our employees to be a part of our sustainability journey.”
The CSR provides updates on our project innovations, community engagement, environmental impact, and the future of the sustainability efforts at Gannett Fleming. The report evaluated changes in usage from 2016 to 2017, and compared our 2010 baseline data against 2017 usage.
Corporate Headquarters Achievements
- Reduced water usage by nearly 50 percent since 2010, and 18 percent since 2016
- Electrical usage declined by nearly 30 percent since 2010, and 5 percent since 2016
- The firm’s natural gas usage dropped by more than 30 percent since 2010
- The combined fiscal impact is a $500,000 utility cost savings
- Employees recycled approximately 80,000 pounds of white office paper and earned more than $18,000 in rebates for the company.
- The firm recycled 289 central processing units, 93 monitors, 16 printers, and more than 1,400 miscellaneous electronic items.
- Although the employee count for the company increased from 2016 to 2017, carbon dioxide equivalent emissions per employee decreased by 4 percent.
- Employees donated more than $15,000 as well as vacation hours valued at more than $105,000 to assist colleagues impacted by three hurricanes in 2017.
- Gannett Fleming remains actively engaged throughout our communities. Here are a few examples from 2017:
- We taught fifth-graders in State College, Pennsylvania, the importance of protecting our water supply
- We designed a new cottage and renovated an existing one for a residential treatment center for at-risk boys and young men in Bernards Township, New Jersey
- Our Phoenix office purchased medical equipment for a local girl with cerebral palsy.
Diverse and evolving, our sustainable services, programs, and activities drive our vision to improve our communities and our world. Visit the Gannett Fleming Sustainability page for more information.